Recommended for ages 10 years to adult 3 to 4 players Play time: 60 minutes
Embark on a quest to settle the isle of CATAN! Guide your settlers to victory by clever trading and cunning development. Use resource combinations — grain, wool, ore, brick and lumber — to buy handy development cards and build roads, settlements and cities. Acquire your resources through trades, cards or lucky dice (even outside your turn).
But beware! Someone might cut off your road or buy a monopoly. And you never know when the wily robber might steal some of your precious gains!
CATAN (aka The Settlers of CATAN) has been awarded with “Game of the Year,” “Hall of Fame,” and even “Game of the Century” honors in Germany, the United States and a host of other countries worldwide. An international favorite, it’s been called the “Perfect Social Game.”
- Your adventurous settlers seek to tame the remote but rich isle of CATAN.
- To begin the game, you build the game board using hexagonal terrain tiles. CATAN is born – a beautiful island with mountains, pastures, hills, fields and forests, surrounded by the sea.
- The starting player rolls two dice. Each terrain hex is marked with a number. Each player who owns a settlement adjacent to a terrain hex marked with the number rolled receives a resource produced by this hex. Hills produce brick, forests produce lumber, mountains produce ore, fields produce grain, and pastures produce wool.
- Use these resources to expand across CATAN: build roads and new settlements or upgrade your existing settlements to cities. For example, a road costs 1 brick and 1 lumber. If you do not have the necessary resources, you can acquire them by trading with your opponents.
- Each settlement is worth 1 victory point and each city is worth 2 victory points. If you expand cleverly, you may be the first player to reach 10 victory points and thus win the game!
- The random mix creates a different board virtually every game. No two games are the same!
- What's in the box:19 unique hexagonal terrain tiles, 6 coastal frame pieces, 9 extra harbor pieces, 20 wooden settlements, 16 wooden cities, 60 wooden roads, 95 resource cards, 25 development cards, 4 building costs cards, 2 special bonus cards, 18 number tokens, 2 six-sided dice, 1 wooden robber pawn, and simple rules and almanac.