Recommended for ages 6 to 12 years 59 pieces
With this Orbiting Solar System from Thames & Kosmos, you can set the planets in motion with a flick of your wrist! Build a mechanical model of the solar system including the sun and eight planets (also known as an orrery), wind it up, and watch the planets revolve around the sun. Assemble this complex machine using snap-together plastic parts to learn how the gears and wind-up mechanism work to spin the model. Detail each planet with colorful, realistic-looking printed planet graphics. Discover how a special type of gear called a planetary gear is used to simulate the mesmerizing motion of the solar system. Learn about the order of the planets, their relative sizes, their rates of revolution around the sun, their appearance, and other planetary facts. Bonus: There’s a built-in expansion slot in case the mysterious Planet Nine is discovered! This kit includes full-color step-by-step illustrated assembly instructions.
- Build a colorful, mechanical, rotating model of our solar system!
- The model uses a windup motor to set the planets in motion — no batteries required.
- Explore fundamental gear mechanics and discover a special type of gear called a planetary gear; planets travel at different speeds depending on the gear ratio.
- Great for science fair projects, you'll learn about the planets' celestial orbits and tons of cool planetary facts.
- Includes a built-in expansion slot should the mysterious Planet Nine be discovered!
- Includes an 8-page manual with QR Code for assembly instructions.
- Model measures 14 inches wide when assembled.
- Contains small parts! Not suitable for children under age 3 years!