Recommended for ages 8 years to adult
2 to 4 players Play time: 10 to 20 minutes
It's kind of like Chess, but your pieces change ownership as soon as you attack with them.
In Martian Chess, color means nothing. Instead, location determines which pieces you may move. As in Chess, each type of piece has its own way of moving, and you capture by entering an opponent piece’s square. However, you can move only the pieces sitting in your sixteen-square section of the board, and you can only attack pieces in other zones.Thus, a piece changes ownership after it attacks. The game ends when a player has no pieces left in their quadrant.
Small pyramids (or pawns) move diagonally like a bishop, though only one space at a time. Medium pyramids (or drones) move vertically or horizontally like a rook, though only one or two spaces at a time. Large pyramids (or queens), just like queens in Earth chess, can move in any direction any number of spaces.
The goal is to score the most points. "Checkmate" is an Earthly concept; the term has no meaning here. An out-of-this-world game in which color has no meaning; position is everything! Use your wits, strategy and luck to win the game.
- Martian Chess from Looney Labs® is a fast and easy-to-learn, yet mind-bending Chess-style game with a difference that really makes you think: ownership of pieces is determined not by color, but by location on the gameboard.
- Easy to learn but hard to master, Martian Chess is a sharp reimagination of a game we all know, but one that feels intriguingly unfamiliar each time you break out the box and give it another go. It really does feel like chess from another world.
- For the Kickstarter, Looney Labs® splurged on the very exciting Silver color for this limited edition, and since color has no meaning in this game, all 18 pieces in the set will be in this new color.
- Two-player board game – Made for 2 players ages 8 to adult. Playing time takes about 10-20 minutes. Combine two sets to play a 4-player version. Each box contains a rule book, playing instructions, a game board and 18 pyramid-shaped game pieces.
- Fun board games - Martian Chess is fun, interesting and engaging. It is a great couples game that can be expanded for a bigger group. If you enjoy strategy board games, you will love the challenge and adventure that Martian Chess creates.
- Beautiful design – This game looks nice simply sitting on a coffee table in your house. It gives a room a modern, homey feeling. Martian Chess also makes the best gift for boys, girls and adults who love strategy games, space, Mars, Sci-Fi and Chess.